Sunday, April 10, 2016

Undergraduate Field Trip

Today a bunch of us went around Austin looking for Austin Group fossils! We had a great time and collected a lot of beautiful specimens. I think this was possibly the most enthusiastic group of undergrads I have had in the field, and that made losing a day of my weekend much more tolerable :)


Outcrop #1, Little Walnut Creek: Great oysters!


Inoceramids = giant bivalves



Outcrop #2, Shoal Creek: We didn't find as many sharks teeth as we had hoped.


but.. this guy is a ray tooth




Outcrop #3, Bee Caves: Will shows students how to find echinoids!

A fun bench with lots of great stuff

Outcrop #4, a secret location.
Last outcrop was less prolific than I had hoped, but we found loads of gastropods, bivalves and a few echinoids.


Great Group!

Obligatory Hook 'em pose!

And my favorite shot of the day!

2 comments:

  1. Could you give me the relative location of the Bee Cave site, please? I have been wanting to fossil hunt in that area, because it is close to the place I live. Thank you, Ramon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ramon! It is right by the Hat Creek Burger Company and Strangeland brewing. If you park there and then walk up the hill, you will see the highway outcrop with 2 benches. The lower bench has lots of good stuff, but bve careful of the ledge! You may have to wander a few 100m along, sometimes the close sports are pretty picked over.

    ReplyDelete