Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Everyone makes mistakes....



So our first stop in Slovenia was one of the Lithiotid bivalve outcrops. This region (the birthplace of "Karst") is extremely hard to work in, so accuracy and field skills are a must.


Today I made a silly mistake...an amazingly stupid mistake that took longer than I'd like to admit to realize. We were mapping an outcrop, measuring strike, dip, and thickness of the lithologies, and I couldn't figure out why our measured strike wasn't lining up with what I saw in the rocks. "This can't be right, that makes NO sense" I kept telling myself. I was totally bewildered... usually my geology intuition is better than this! Then Jason makes this brilliant realization: "The compass reading keeps changing when you look away, hey, doesn't the camelback clip on your new backpack have a magnet on it?"

Wow! Totally newbie mistake, I had forgotten about that completely. So yeah, now it all makes sense.... and my new backpack is not allowed near the compass anymore!

*Sigh* At least we didn't lose much time/data and we did find some nice lithiotid bivalves!





1 comment: